COVID-19 Updates | March 15, 2020
Dear Residents, Sisters, Family Members, Employees, and Friends of The Village at Incarnate Word:
As you are aware, the situation with COVID-19 is rapidly evolving.
Late Friday, March 13, 2020, the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services issued a regulatory notice that is mandatory for all nursing facilities restricting visitation of all visitors and non-essential health care personnel, except for end of life situations.
Therefore, effective immediately, The Village at Incarnate Word will have no visiting hours in DeMatel/Extended Care. We will address end of life situations on a case by case basis. The CDC requirement can be found here: https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/press-releases/cms-announces-new-measures-protect-nursing-home-residents-covid-19
Should an end of life situation occur, one responsible party will be permitted access into the community by Village management. The responsible party will have to abide by and pass a few measures before being permitted access. The individual will have to follow good hand hygiene, limit surfaces touched, and use personal protective equipment according to the current community policy while in the resident’s room. Individuals with fevers, other symptoms of COVID-19, or who are unable to demonstrate proper use of infection control techniques will be restricted from entry.
All staff and essential health care personnel will be required to receive a temperature check at the time of entry, with no exceptions. If one does not allow their temperature to be checked, they will not be permitted to enter.
Other precautions/measures in place:
- The Village has completed a COVID-19 administrative and nursing policy.
- Education with both employees and residents regarding standard precautions: handwashing, staying home when sick, cleaning of equipment, recognizing signs and symptoms of COVID-19.
- Volunteering at the community has been suspended.
- All Connections programs have been suspended.
- All common area bathroom doors in independent living are propped open so there is a no touching of door handles entering and exiting restrooms.
- Community water fountains have been temporarily taken off-line.
- We have suspended all Village sponsored outings.
- No outside visitors are allowed at Mass. Mass at St. Joseph’s Chapel continues for independent living and Alphonse House assisted living residents only. Residents in Angelique House assisted living, Angelique House memory care, and DeMatel/Extended care are watching Mass via closed circuit television.
- All employees and visitors are required to notify The Village of any international or interstate travel. Restrictions are in place if one has traveled to a state designated as level 3 by the CDC, to international locations or have traveled on a cruise. Entry will not be permitted into the building unless the individual has abided by the two week mandatory quarantine as guided by the CDC.
- All visitors entering the community, regardless of area, must submit to a body temperature check and a travel health screen. If one does not allow their temperature to be checked, they will not be permitted to enter.
- We continue to ask all family and friends of our independent living residents to only visit if necessary. Visiting puts all of our employees and residents at risk. Visitors are limited to essential care providers and one responsible party per resident. To better serve our residents and staff, no children may accompany the one responsible party. The responsible party must complete the travel screening and be free of signs and symptoms of COVID-19.
If a confirmed case of COVID-19 were to occur despite all our precautions, we would continue to act in full compliance with the CDC, local and state health authorities.
We all have the same goal of keeping our residents safe and your compliance with our temporary measures is key to achieving that goal.
Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time and for helping support The Village in our mission to extend the healing ministry of Jesus Christ.