COVID-19 Updates | July 28, 2021
July 28, 2021
Dear Village at Incarnate Word Residents and Families:
At times it is hard for me to wrap my mind around still having to deal with COVID-19. But here we are 19 months into the pandemic, and I am writing to remind everyone to be mindful of the population served at The Village at Incarnate Word.
The Bexar County COVID-19 positivity rate has risen rapidly since June. At the end of April the rate was 2.6%, May 1.4%, June 3.8%, and here at the end of July the positivity rate sits at 17%. As hospitals have begun to lock down due to the increase so are retirement communities that are experiencing outbreaks.
Please be reminded that here at The Village we will continue to:
- Require everyone, including visitors, to wear a mask within the community. Retirement communities are still under orders from Texas Health and Human Services to require masks and it is important to note that the Governor’s executive order prohibiting mask mandates does not apply to private business.
- Have visitors visit in resident rooms not in common areas.
- Screen of all who enter the community for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g., temperature checks, questions about and observations of signs or symptoms), and deny entry to those with signs or symptoms or those who have had close contact with someone with COVID-19 infection in the prior 14 days (regardless of the visitor’s vaccination status).
- Encourage visitors to become vaccinated when they have the opportunity.
- Limit visitation with residents who have a confirmed COVID-19 infection.
- Limit visitation with residents who are in quarantine until he or she has met the criteria for release from quarantine.
The increase in positivity requires that retirement communities test unvaccinated staff twice a week. We began this process two weeks ago and will continue testing until the county positivity rate falls back to 5% or below. The current national percent of vaccinated senior living residents is 81.3% and the national percent of vaccinated staff is 58.4%. We are happy to report that The Village is well above the national average for both groups.
I am certain, by the grace of God, we will eventually put this pandemic behind us. Until then I urge everyone to continue to take every precaution including wearing a mask, social distancing, washing your hands often, and if you are not vaccinated, do so as soon as you are able.
Benefits of getting vaccinated include:
- Preventing yourself and loved ones from being infected.
- Helping us reach community immunity and safeguard our vulnerable residents and neighbors.
- Ensuring our schools, businesses, and communities can stay open safely.
- Moving us closer to ending the pandemic.
Please feel free to call the community with any questions. My extension is 140. You may also ask to speak with Jeanette Eisenmenger, The Village COO (extension 157).
Thank you for your ongoing support of The Village at Incarnate Word.
Kindest regards to all,
President & CEO