Religious congregations of women have historically been at the forefront of serving people in need. The Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word are no exception. They came to Texas to care for people devastated by a cholera epidemic, and they have continued to respond to need.
The Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word organized in San Antonio in 1869. They established the first hospital in the city and began ministering to the sick and the elderly at Santa Rosa Infirmary, known today as CHRISTUS Santa Rosa Health Care. Since that time, the Sisters have ministered through hospitals, orphanages, homes for the aged, educational institutions and other ministries serving the needs of the community. They built the Motherhouse on Brackenridge Estates in 1899 and the Chapel of the Incarnate Word was built in 1906.
Upon deterioration of the original Motherhouse, it was decided to rebuild a retirement community for all persons—not just the Sisters. The facility would be a legacy of service beyond the time of the Sisters themselves. Incarnate Word Retirement Community, now The Village at Incarnate Word, opened on September 8, 1988 as a 501 (C) (3) not-for-profit corporation. The retirement community is a separate corporation from the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word and maintains an Independent Board of Trustees.
Open to persons of any religion, race, or creed, the retirement community offers a spiritually enriched home for all persons age 55 and older. Rooted in the Catholic tradition, The Village at Incarnate Word is founded upon the principles of serving and caring for all persons with compassion and respect. We are located in a serene setting adjacent to the University of the Incarnate Word and the headwaters of the San Antonio River.
As of March 2017, approximately 300 retired persons (20% sisters and 80% lay persons) now reside at the Village. We offer independent living, various levels of assisted living in San Antonio, including Alzheimer’s care, 24-hour nursing care and diverse community outreach and services through Sisters Care at the Village (licensed in-home services) and our Connections Program. Sisters Care currently services approximately 105 clients throughout Bexar County, and Connections serves over 1,300 per month, including an average of 90 at our six offsite locations.
Our existing capacity consists of 159 independent living units, 74 assisted living units (31 Type A and 43 Type B, including 24 certified for Alzheimer’s and memory impairment) and 62 nursing beds for a total of 295 units.