fa-arrow-up
 

About Us

HELP MAKE A DIFFERENCE

ANSWERING A CALL TO SERVE: MEETING THE NEEDS OF SENIOR LIVING IN TEXAS

The Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word answered the call to care for the people of San Antonio and we at The Village at Incarnate Word carry on their response. Rooted in the Catholic tradition, The Village is open to persons of any religion, race, or creed, offering a spiritually enriched home for all persons age 55 and older. The Village at Incarnate Word was founded upon the principle of recognizing the dignity of each person by serving and caring for them with compassion and respect. The Village at Incarnate Word maintains an independent Board of Trustees and is a separate corporation from the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word.

The Village at Incarnate Word, a not-for-profit corporation, was established by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word of San Antonio in 1988, providing a spiritually enriched retirement community for people of all faiths.

License Numbers:

  • AL-A 145002
  • AL-B 149279
  • ALZ Certificate 104401
  • Nursing 145003
  • HCSSA 011872
Our mission is to extend the healing ministry of Jesus Christ to all those we serve. Our commitment is to show respect for the whole person at every stage of life, focusing on the unique needs of elderly adults. We provide a continuum of care, housing and services while offering compassion, comfort and opportunities for spiritual growth.

Our History

1869

Arrived in San Antonio from France via Galveston.
Founded the first hospital in San Antonio, the Santa Rosa Infirmary.

1899

Original convent (Motherhouse) for the Congregation built.

1986

Congregation leadership planned a new facility to be a legacy of service beyond the time of the Sisters themselves.

1988

It was decided that the retirement community would become a licensed facility serving all persons of any religion, race or creed. By this decision, the Sisters created a lasting legacy of service for the generations to come. It is a non-profit 501©3 organization. Incarnate Word Retirement Community opens its doors with the first building, Madeline house offering independent living.

1990

Building is complete on Pierre, Ignatius, Alphonse and DeMatel house adding much anticipated assisted and independent living apartments as well as 60 nursing beds.

1992

Sisters Care In-Home Care is established by four founding CCVI sister to meet the needs of seniors wanting to remain independent in their own home.

1997

The Connections program is started to provide communities a holistic approach to health and wellness and is designed to enhance the mind, body and spirit of those served at little to no cost.

2001

Angelique house was opened adding Alzheimer’s and Dementia-Related Diseases care on one floor, and additional Assisted Living apartments on the second floor adding 43 residential units. The garden level, provides space for a health clinic, housekeeping, laundry quarters, and offices.

2007

IWRC changes name and logo to The Village at Incarnate Word with the opening of Dubuis house a 7 story apartment building. The first floor houses the fully equipped wellness center, Bistro dining and sitting area, and common living area while the upper 6 floors add 55 additional independent living apartments.

2008

Sisters Care In-Home Care merged with TVIW and expands services to seniors throughout Bexar county and surrounding areas. The Champagne & Shamrock Gala becomes an annual TVIW fundraiser.

159

Independent Living Units

74

Assisted Living Units

60

Nursing Beds

1400

Cared through Connections per Month

Notices